25 Years of Hope
For us, at IKCA, 2020 means 25 years of hope. What does 2020 mean for you?
In 25 Years, you’ve helped us establish:
- Diagnostics Centres nationwide
- Outreach Screening Clinics nationwide
- Two Cancer Hospitals in Lahore and Peshawar
- 91 Laboratory Collection Centres across 42 cities
Through your Zakat we’ve provided free cancer treatment for 75% of our patients every year, for 25 years!
Through your support we continue to offer a life-line to people tackling cancer in Pakistan.Give Zakat Sponsor a Cancer Patient Give Sadaqah
Become an Ambassador of Hope
Why not join in with our Silver Jubilee Celebrations? Get in touch to Become an Ambassador of Hope and to get involved with any of the activities below.
- Organise your own fundraising event
- Make a pledge
- Take part in one of our 2020 Challenges
- Set up a monthly direct debit or standing order
25 Years of Firsts
Shaukat Khanum Hospital first opened its doors in Lahore on December 29th 1994. As a comprehensive care facility dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of cancer, it was a first in Pakistan. As a state-of-the-art health facility that provided free care to poor patients, in a country with no national health service, it was a first in the world.
Since then we’ve established many more firsts:
- In 1995 the first Shaukat Khanum Laboratory Collection Centre opened in Lahore. Today there are over 90 Collection Centres in 41 cities across Pakistan.
- In 1996, Shaukat Khanum Hospital was the first hospital in Pakistan to receive a visit from Dianna Princess of Wales. The royal visit drew international attention to this national achievement, which was only made possible through the Zakat and efforts of Pakistan’s worldwide.
- In 2006, our doctors conducted the first ever bone marrow transplant in Lahore. The £14,000 procedure was carried out at no charge to the patient and was made possible through the generous support of an anonymous donor.
- In 2007, SKMCH was the first hospital in Pakistan to procure a PET CT scan, whereas previously, patients in Pakistan had to go abroad to undergo this test.
- In 2015, we inaugurated the first state-of-the-art cancer hospital in Peshawar, providing free cancer care through a second Shaukat Khanum Hospital to the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa region.
- In 2019, Shaukat Khanum Hospital was the first cancer hospital in Pakistan to receive the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince William and his wife Kate, on their historic, royal tour of the country. Their visit drew international attention, once again, to this national achievement on the cusp of our 25 year anniversary.
Become an Ambassador of Hope
Our story of hope began on February 1985. After a long and agonizing struggle, Imran Khan lost his mother, Shaukat Khanum, to cancer. Little did he know that the most painful event of his life would pave the way for a hospital that continues to provide hope for millions today. Find out More.
Help us keep the hope alive by becoming an Ambassador of Hope. Make your pledge for monthly donations to Imran Khan Cancer Appeal today, no matter how little or large the payment. You can choose to pay as Sadaqah or even towards your annual Zakat contribution. For more info, download the leaflet or get in touch.Give Zakat Sponsor a Cancer Patient Give Sadaqah
Trace our 25 year journey of hope to find out about more Shaukat Khanum Hospital firsts. Click the image below to Download our Silver Jubilee Timeline.Back to Latest News